What to do if your property floods

Home flooding can cause a house to be impossible to live in due to the threat of waterborne bacteria, viruses, mould, and structural risks. When suffering from this kind of issue, its essential to get the right professionals in to remediate your property. In many cases your insurance provider will have a list of works required to bring the property up to standard and preferred trades professionals who can complete the work.

What do you do when your home floods

First thing is first – immediately leave the property, taking your loved ones, any pets and essential items which you do not want water damaged. Anything which can be replaced with insurance shouldn’t be considered essential, your primary concern should be with items such as heirlooms, photographs or other sentimental goods. You will likely need to organise temporary accommodation whilst the property is flooded – whether this is through family, friends or airBNB/rental accommodation. Depending on your insurance policy your insurer may provide a daily allowance for accommodation expenses which can factor into your budget.

If the flooding occurred from broken pipes or a water source which can be stopped, stop this immediately to mitigate further damage.

What professionals will I need to fix my property?

The professionals needed will largely depend on the location and extent of damage – but your insurance provider will generally dictate at a minimum which works will need to be completed to bring the property back to a habitable standard. Initially any water and residual moisture will need to be removed, alongside with a bacterial clean to remove potential contaminants. Once dried the existing surfaces will need to be checked for water damage – which may require flooring and wall contractors to replace any damaged surfaces.

The source of water will need to be rectified if possible. If the source is from burst plumbing, a plumber will be needed. If the flooding came from external sources – consider whether replacement guttering or drainage solutions could be used to stop future flooding.

You will also need to ensure any electrical wiring and appliances were not damaged by the flooding before re-connecting power to the property.

You may require a certificate of compliance for any repair works done during this time.

If repainting is required, ensure the painters use anti-bacterial water resistant painting, as standard wall paints can suffer from residual moisture in the property and cracking/pealing of paint can happen over time.

Other considerations

Sometimes flooding occurs in a localised area of your property such as a basement, with the rest of your property relatively free of water damage. Moisture however especially within warm/humid times of year can still travel up the property and damage your furniture and items. If you can remove any belongings early without putting yourself in danger or harming the property, consider putting it in storage. WhatStorage suggests considering using suppliers which have dehumidifiers within their storage units as cheaper basic storage options can actually leave your property at risk of being left exposed to the elements.

By |2019-04-06T04:25:10+00:00April 6th, 2019|Uncategorized|